Though there are plenty of unknown quantities in opposition Most Improved (2:55) is fancied to go one better than he did on debut at Newmarket this afternoon.
Brian Meehan’s Lawman colt was heavily supported and, after running green in the early stages, he went down by a short-head to the Mahmood Al Zarooni trained Kinglet.
It is therefore interesting that Al Zarooni saddles three runners in this contest and any money for them could be significant, but the selection looked a sure-fire future winner three weeks ago and it will take a good one to lower his colours on debut.
Most Improved was trading around 11/8 on Betfair on Thursday evening, while the day’s second selection looks a solid each-way play around the 6/1 mark.
Ogee (4:50) is a former Grade 1 winning hurdler, who finished third in the William Hill Trophy some 17 months ago off a 5lb higher mark than he races off at Ffos Las today.
The chestnut remains lightly-raced over fences and this looks much the easiest assignment he has faced for some time. Despite top-weight, the eight-year-old looks capable of running a big race under his optimum conditions.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)