Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Saturday; Noble Alan 2:45 at Cheltenham and Restless Harry 4:10 at Cheltenham. Compare odds
This afternoon’s Paddy Power Gold Cup looks as competitive as ever and with Poquelin running there are no fewer than eight horses running from out of the handicap.
I don’t often like backing horses that are ‘wrong’ at the weights, but I’m taking a chance on Noble Alan (2:35) who is worthy of a small each-way interest at 20/1.
Nicky Richards’ grey would have won a competitive handicap at Market Rasen last time, but for unseating Brian Harding two out and, though he’s only won four times from 11 chase starts, there is a big race in him.
He showed this when winning the Scottish Champion Hurdle in 2009 and a strongly run race on decent ground brings out the best in him. Assuming Cheltenham hasn’t been hit by too much overnight rain, conditions should be right and he is sure to travel well in to the race from off the pace, if Dougie Costello can get him jumping.
Later on the card Restless Harry (4:10) can make a winning debut over fences for Robert Dickin and Henry Oliver.
The seven-year-old, who twice won at the track over hurdles, was impressive in winning the West Yorkshire Hurdle at Wetherby a fortnight ago and his trainer hasn’t been able to contain his excitement about his prospects over fences.
He reportedly schooled well at Towcester recently and a clear round should see him home in front, though Saint Are is respected now he’s up in trip after a promising debut at Aintree last month.
2:35 Cheltenham Noble Alan each-way (20/1 Bet365 (5 places))
4:10 Cheltenham Restless Harry (15/8 Coral)
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)