Paul Ferguson has a gander at the cross country meet at Cheltenham; Scotsirish in the 14.20 appeals Compare odds.
Cheltenham’s cross country contests aren’t for everyone and they aren’t usually my first port of call when studying a card at the course, but Scotsirish (2:20) looked a natural when winning over the banks course at Punchestown last month and can follow up on his debut on this track.
Patrick Mullins has opted to ride the 10-year-old over stable-mate Uncle Junior, who he rode to defeat course specialist Garde Champetre at the last meeting, and the ground won’t be a problem as he has won on good ground or quicker three times.
The one doubt is the trip, but they tend to go slow in these contests and you need a horse with a finishing kick to put these races to bed. Having won five times over 2m or 2m1f he certainly has the requisite pace and, at 11/4 with Coral and Ladbrokes on Thursday evening, his stamina is worth taking a chance on.
2:20 Cheltenham Scotsirish (11/4 Coral / Ladbrokes)
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)