Paul Ferguson has two selections for us today; Back In Focus in the 15.05 (Clon) and Prince Of Pirates in the 16.35 (Leic). Compare odds.
AP McCoy provided us with a winner yesterday in the silks of his boss JP McManus and the pair can strike again this afternoon with the Nicky Henderson-trained Prince Of Pirates (4:35) in Leicester’s feature, the Cavalry Novices’ Limited Handicap Chase.
The seven-year-old made a winning debut over fences under a fine ride from the champion jockey at Doncaster over Christmas and he looks to have been given a chance by the handicapper with an opening mark of 134.
The son of Milan needs to fence more fluently, but the longer trip should allow him more time at his obstacles and it is worth remembering that he has only had four races since beating stable-mate Bobs Worth in a Kempton bumper on his racecourse debut two years ago.
Over in Ireland Back In Focus (3:05) should make a winning debut for Willie Mullins in the Munster Hurdle at Clonmel.
The seven-year-old made a big impression on his British debut a year ago, winning a Grade 2 at Haydock impressively from subsequent Albert Bartlett third Court In Motion.
The son of Bob Back, who had only won his point-to-point a month earlier, relished the testing ground that day so conditions ought to be ideal this afternoon. He disappointed on his final outing for Howard Johnson at Aintree last April, but the ground was probably on the lively side for him that day and he can bounce back here, continuing the great start to the association between the Wylie’s and Willie Mullins.
3:05 Clonmel Back In Focus (8/11 Paddy Power)
4:35 Leicester Prince Of Pirates (3/1 Betfred / VC)
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)