Paul Ferguson has two selections for us today; Shada in the 4.45 (Donc) and Watheeq in the 5.40 (Folk). Compare odds and bet.
Roger Varian boasts a fine 33% strike-rate (2 winners from his 6 runners) at Folkestone and the Newmarket based handler can add to that on Friday with Watheeq (5:40) in the concluding FGS Access Handicap.
A maiden after three starts at two, the Street Cry gelding got off the mark at Haydock on his reappearance last month, beating Mark Johnston’s Fennell Bay off a mark of 66. Considering that rival has won his last two, including last week’s King George V Stakes at Royal Ascot, he doesn’t look harshly treated being upped just 5lbs by the handicapper.
Taking on his elders isn’t ideal, but he looked a youngster to follow at Haydock and can score again under Neil Callan. The selection opened up 7/4 with Bet Victor early on Thursday evening.
Up at Doncaster another Newmarket trainer can strike, with Sir Michael Stoute’s Shada (4:45) fancied to land the fillies’ maiden under Ryan Moore.
The daughter of Galileo finished third behind Fillies’ Mile winner Lyric Of Light and maiden winner Diala (did disappoint for us yesterday) on her sole start as a two-year-old and, judged on her breeding, she ought to relish the step up in trip.
A 290,000 guineas purchase still holds an entry in the Irish Oaks, so is clearly held in some regard and connections will be disappointed if she doesn’t get off the mark sooner rather than later.
On the downside, she has a 308-day lay-off to overcome, but she was declared to run at Leicester at the start of the month only to be pulled-out (presumably due to the quick ground) so she must have been ready to run for a few weeks now.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)