Paul Ferguson has another selection for us today; Luca Cumani’s Spifer in the 4.00 at Pontefract. Compare odds.
The Family Day On Sunday 19th August Handicap at Pontefract is easily the most interesting contest today and, after a fine performance at Goodwood last week, Sir Graham Wade is a worthy market leader.
Returning to the track quickly is never usually an issue with a Mark Johnston runner so another big run looks on the cards from the three-year-old under his 6lb penalty, but Spifer (4:00) is a viable each-way alternative, trading at 5/1 with Ladbrokes overnight and the dead eight going to post.
Following a string of fine efforts last term Luca Cumani’s grey appealed as the type to do well at four, despite looking not the most straightforward at times. He shaped well on his return at York and the ground could have been too soft form him when sixth in a decent race at Newmarket last time.
Back on quick ground and with Kieren Fallon back aboard, the son of Motivator could easily bounce back to form. Down to a mark of 89, he remains in the Ebor at York later in the month so is clearly still well regarded.
4:00 Pontefract Spifer
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)