Paul Ferguson has two selections for us today; Well Sharp in the 3.25 (Mark R) and Khione in the 4.20 (Newb). Compare odds and bet.
The domestic feature on Sunday is the Listed Chalice Stakes for fillies and mares at Newbury, where Khione (4:20) takes both a step up in class and trip, but Luca Cumani’s three-year-old looked one to keep on side when winning at the track in June.
The form of that event leaves her needing to find a fair bit more here, but the daughter Dalakhani got the job done in fine style once finally getting in to gear, suggesting that the step up to 1m4f will bring about plenty of improvement.
Stamina looks her forte, so any overnight rain would further aid her cause and she has the ideal partner on board in Kieren Fallon given she needs stoking up. At the time of writing there were no prices available but, given her strong form behind Great Heavens, I suspect Set To Music will set the market; if opening up big enough, back Khione each-way with the dead eight going to post.
At Market Rasen Well Sharp (3:25) should make it two from two over hurdles for Jonjo O’Neill and AP McCoy after an impressive start over timber at Wetherby in May.
A smart performer on the Flat for Michael Dods, JP McManus shelled out 250,000gns for the four-year-old last October and he made the perfect start to his career over hurdles, when winning for this column on debut.
Connections will presumably be hoping he can make his mark in better company later in the year and they will no doubt be disappointed if he can’t maintain his 100% record here.
Sure to be sent off a warm order (again, no prices available at the time of writing), it is hoped he isn’t too short on first show on Sunday morning. If he is, just watch him with the future in mind.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2011-12
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2011 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Tips Included 40 Leading Prospects: £499.80 profit to a level £10!
- AL FEROF won Supreme Novices’ Hurdle 10-1
- BENSALEM won Stewart Family Handicap 5-1
- BOBS WORTH won A Bartlett 15-8, 4/4 for year
- CAPTAIN CHRIS won Arkle Trophy 6-1
- FIRST LIEUTENANT won Neptune Investment 7-1
- (plus Grade 1 in Ireland 16-1)
- JAMES DE VASSY won Lanzarote Hurdle 8-1
- LONG RUN won King George 9-2, Gold Cup 7-2
- OSCAR WHISKY won Aintree Hurdle 6-1
- Peddlers Cross (Fighting Fifth Hurdle)
- Medermit (Scilly Isles Novices’ Chase)
- FINIAN’S RAINBOW (Maghull Novices’ Chase)
- WISHFULL THINKING (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)