Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Wednesday; Hazy Tom in the 2.50 at Towcester and Sunpass in the Nottingham 4.30. Compare odds and bet.
Charlie Longsdon has started the season in reasonable form and he sends the highly-regarded Hazy Tom (2:50) over fences this afternoon at Towcester.
The six-year-old is a former winning pointer who won twice in bumpers before making a winning debut over hurdles at Aintree last October, at the expense of the useful It’s A Gimme.
The son of Heron Island followed up at Wetherby before finishing third to Molotof in Grade 2 company at Ascot. His form tailed off slightly after that, but he appeals as the type to do well over fences and could be one to catch early on in the season.
John Gosden and William Buick have enjoyed a blinding season on the Flat and the pair can strike at Nottingham today with the lightly-raced Sunpass (4:30) who is fancied to land the BDN Construction Handicap.
The Pivotal colt bolted up in an Epsom maiden under Nicky Mackay just 11 days ago, stretching clear in the manner of an improving sort. That was his first start since April and he could well have been a late-developer given time to mature.
The chestnut carries a 6lb penalty, yet still looks leniently treated on a mark of 78 for this handicap debut and he could be someway ahead of the handicapper, if that maiden victory is to be believed (visually very impressive indeed).
Being by Pivotal the easier ground should not be an issue and it was not surprising to see him being backed early last night. Bet365 opened up at 11/4 but were soon forced to cut him to 7/4 and, at the time of writing, he was a best priced 11/8 at William Hill
2:50 Towcester: Hazy Tom 6/5 @ bet365
4:30 Nottingham: Sunpass 11/8 William Hill
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)