Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Thursday; Earls Quarter in the Tramore 4.15 and Prompter in the Worcester 5.00. Compare odds and bet.
An impressive winner for us at Bangor last week Prompter (5:00) is fancied to follow up under a 7lb penalty in the concluding Ladbrokes Handicap Hurdle at Worcester this afternoon.
The high-class Flat handicapper came good at the fourth time of asking over timber with the more strongly run handicap reportedly playing to his strengths and, under similar conditions, he ought to be tough to beat under the champion jockey. The selection was trading at 5/6 with Paddy Power this morning
Tony McCoy carries the green and gold hoops of his boss J P McManus earlier in the day aboard God Of The Kop, who also warrants plenty of respect in the staying novice hurdle.
Rebecca Curtis has her string in fine form and the five-year-old was an impressive bumper winner on his second start last term, but I’m never a fan of backing a horse who starts off over such a long trip so a watching brief is called for.
The day’s other selection comes from Ireland in the shape of Earls Quarter (4:15) who is taken to make a winning chasing debut at Tramore for Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh. Early price 2/1 @ bet365
Regular readers of my column will know I’m a bit of a fan of the six-year-old, who has been strutting his stuff on the Flat of late. He is best known for his exploits as a novice hurdler, however, and he lowered the colours of Galway Hurdle winner Rebel Fitz last August.
The son of Shantou, who wouldn’t want the ground to deteriorate too much overnight (all his wins have come on good ground), was also in the process of running a big race in a Grade 2 when last seen over hurdles until falling at the last at Fairyhouse in April. He remains a useful prospect.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)