Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Sunday; Four Commanders in the 4.25 at Limerick and Double Double in the 4.40 at Curragh. Compare odds and bet.
After the Newmarket version yesterday, it’s Irish Cesarewitch day at the Curragh this afternoon and this looks another cracking 27-runner renewal.
Rather like yesterday’s contest, in which we were just touched off by the brilliant Kieren Fallon aboard Aaim To Prosper, a case could be made for plenty of the runners, but the one I’m siding with is Double Double (4:40) who can reward each-way support at 16/1 with Boylesports, who are paying 5 places.
Charles O’Brien’s six-year-old was a dual bumper winner before finishing midfield in the 2011 Champion Bumper behind Cheltenian. A winner over hurdles in March and on his Flat debut at Sligo in August, he caught the eye here last month where he travelled ominously well throughout.
He hit the front looking all over the winner, but eventually went down by a head. Rather frustratingly, he has travelled well in the past without winning, but the step up in trip should suit and it’s not hard to envisage him arriving on the scene going strongly once again.
While he’d ideally prefer better ground, the selection is worth taking a chance on at today’s odds as he has the ability to take a hand in a race of this nature.
Equally competitive is the Ladbrokes Munster National at Limerick, where another worthy of each-way support is Four Commanders (4:25) despite the fact that Davy Russell has chosen to ride the useful Mr Cracker.
The selection was a smart novice chaser last term, finishing less than a length off Irish National winner Lion Na Bearnai in a Grade 2 on soft ground over this trip at Navan in February.
An impressive winner at Down Royal last November, on his second outing over fences, he went on to chase home the top-class pair of Last Instalment and Sir Des Champs on his next two starts.
A reproduction of that early season form would see him go close here and he was trading at 11/1 overnight with SkyBet, while Bet365 and Paddy Power were offering 10/1 with the added bonus of guaranteed odds.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)