Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Sunday; Sire De Grugy in the 2.45 and Spirit Of Shankly in the 3.20 both at Kempton. Compare odds and bet.
Though he’s being chucked in fairly deep on his hurdles debut Spirit Of Shankly (3:20) is taken to score at the first time of asking over timber in the Listed novice hurdle at Kempton this afternoon.
Charlie Longsdon’s four-year-old won a bumper at Stratford in March and followed up under a penalty just 22 days ago. Held in high regard, it is to his credit he could win so easily while many of the stable’s runners are looking in need of the run and conditions are ideal for this hurdles debut.
The Sulamani gelding is a speedy individual, so 2m around this tight track on decent ground will be right up his street. Assuming he jumps adequately, he has the class to take this, despite the fact he meets a couple of smart previous winners in Once More Dubai and Princely Player.
The former was classy on the Flat and did it well on debut at Plumpton, while Philip Hobbs’ runner sets the standard here, as he has improved with each of his three runs over hurdles and the stable seems in fair form.
Add to the mix another couple of useful Flat recruits and you have the makings of a cracking novice hurdle. The selection opened up 11/2 with Bet365 early last night, but that was soon snapped up and he was trading at 3/1 with Hills and BetVictor at the time of writing.
The race before it, the WilliamHill.com Beginners’ Chase, can go the way of chasing debutant Sire De Grugy (2:45) for Gary and Jamie Moore.
The six-year-old chestnut has plenty of size and scope about him for chasing and he is a classy hurdler, who has solid course form to his name. On his two visits here over hurdles, he finished runner-up to Bobs Worth on his hurdles debut just under two years ago before winning the Grade 2 Dovecote Novices’ Hurdle the following February.
The son of My Risk has won right-handed on another two occasions, including at Taunton in February, and his third in the Imperial Cup (off top-weight and a mark of 147) is a rock solid piece of form. The selection would ideally have preferred slightly softer ground, but he should be up to winning this if his jumping is up to scratch.
2:45 Kempton Sire De Grugy
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)