Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Monday Pendra in the Plumpton 12:50 and Black Thunder in the Kempton 2.40. Compare odds and bet.
Paul Nicholls enjoyed a red-letter on Saturday, with Tidal Bay and Silviniaco Conti taking the feature races up at Wetherby, while Kauto Stone and Cristal Bonus did likewise over at Down Royal.
The champion trainer clearly has his string in fine form and he saddles two runners at Kempton this afternoon. Ghizao would runaway with the graduation chase if returning to his novice chase form from the season before last and Black Thunder (2:40) also holds strong claims in the 2m5f handicap hurdle, a race the trainer won last year with King Of The Night.
Two from three over hurdles last term, he looked to win with more in hand the official margin would suggest the last twice and he has plenty of scope for improvement. He might need to, however, with him looking harshly treated with a couple of these on a line through Captain Sunshine (namely Bold Chief and Medinas), but he looks to have a bright future and the fact that connections haven’t gone straight over fences indicates they think he can win a handicap beforehand.
Earlier on the card, high-class Flat performer Ransom Note makes his debut over hurdles in the opening novice contest and, if anywhere near his best, he will be very hard to beat if taking to the game. He was, however, slightly below his best last season on the level, so he is best watched at likely short odds.
Charlie Longsdon, fresh from a double at Huntingdon yesterday, had Pendra (12:50) entered in the same contest but instead sends his well-bred four-year-old to Plumpton for what looks a less competitive maiden hurdle.
The Old Vic gelding is out of the classy race mare Mariah Rollins and he created a big impression when winning a Huntingdon bumper during Cheltenham Festival week in March.
He looked as though he might want a trip over hurdles that day, so the minimum trip around here may prove less that ideal in time, but he looks a classy individual and one very much worth following on his sole start to date. Mariah Rollins wasn’t short of pace, so he should be up to winning over 2m before going up in trip.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)