Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Wednesday; Venture Capital in the 12:15 at Wexford. Compare odds and bet.
The pick of the domestic action on Wednesday comes from Hereford and in the shape of the 2m Bet365.com Novices’ Chase where classy hurdlers Salden Licht and Vulcanite go head to head.
Trainer Alan King won this race with Kumbershwar last year and bids to follow up with Salden Licht, who was last seen chasing home Oscar Whisky and Thousand Stars in the 2011 Aintree Hurdle. His fitness has to be a concern after 606 days on the sidelines, while Charlie Longsdon’s Vulcanite proved his wellbeing when bolting up at Fakenham on his return to action in October.
He would ideally appreciate better ground, but is another interesting recruit to the chasing game, so this is a race to pay close attention to.
For the day’s sole selection, it’s over to Ireland and Venture Capital (12:15) who is fancied to land the opening 2m2f Munster Maiden Hurdle for Philip Fenton and JP McManus at Wexford.
The five-year-old looked a smart prospect when winning a bumper at Fairyhouse a year ago, where he beat the useful pair of Bright New Dawn (won on Saturday) and Thomas Edison (beat Champagne Fever next time and runner-up off 127 in a handicap hurdle last time).
The son of Presenting has only been seen once since, when running no sort of race behind the aforementioned Champagne Fever in the Grade 1 at Punchestown, when it is safe to assume the atrocious ground was too much for him to handle.
Though it will be testing today, it won’t be anywhere near as bad as it was during the Punchestown Festival so he ought to cope with it and, as I expect him to make up in to a smart novice this season, it will be disappointing if he doesn’t make a winning debut.
There is another useful novice hurdler on show in the very next race, Willie Mullins’ Tasitiocht who looks a potentially smart mare, but she’s bound to be short, however, and is one to note with the future in mind.
12:15 Wexford: Venture Capital; 11/8 bet365
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)