Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Monday; Shuil Royale in the Taunton 1.40. Compare odds and bet.
Taunton stages a decent card on Monday, with Paul Nicholls saddling a couple of interesting runners in the shape of Sound Investment and Saphir Du Rhea, both of whom finished third at Newbury’s Hennessy meeting.
The former travelled well behind the exciting Puffin Billy and should appreciate the step up in trip, though he faces Best Boy Barney who finished behind Chatterbox and My Tent Or Yours at Newbury just 9 days ago. A literal reading of that form would make him a serious opponent.
The juvenile Saphir Du Rhea faces his elders in the national hunt novice hurdle and will need to jump more fluently than he did on his British debut. The form of that race was franked when Pistol won and his Auetuil third was much more encouraging. It would not be a surprise to see him get off the mark, but Orabora was running a big race when falling at Exeter last time and could give him plenty to think about.
Also keep an eye on Cool George in the same race at likely bigger odds; he was impressive when winning an Exeter bumper on New Year’s Day last year, before going wrong in the Champion Bumper. He disappointed on his hurdles debut, but clearly has ability.
Cantlow did it nicely at Plumpton last time and looks tough to beat in the novices’ chase, though his price will reflect that, so for the day’s selection it’s to the earlier beginners’ chase and Shuil Royale (1:40) who was running a sound race on debut over fences when crashing out at Ascot.
Having fallen on his final run over hurdles, the eight-year-old needs to prove his confidence hasn’t been knocked too much, but he remains a talented individual who could be a cut above today’s rivals.
The form of that Ascot contest has been boosted since, with both Theatrical Star and Arthurian Legend running well in defeat, while fourth home Restless Harry scored at Newbury last month.
David Arbuthnot’s charge has winning form on soft ground (bumper on debut) and Daryl Jacob, who rides again today, was aboard both that day and also when he won a Kempton novice hurdle in March 2011.
1:40 Taunton Shuil Royale
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)