Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Wednesday; Ifandbutwhynot in the Musselburgh 3.40 and Sword Of Honour in the Thurles 2.35. Compare odds and bet.
Despite being burdened with top-weight Ifandbutwhynot (3:40) is fancied to land Musselburgh’s feature CMYK Digital Solutions Handicap Hurdle for David O’Meara and Timmy Murphy, who rode the selection to win at Cheltenham in November.
Off 117, the seven-year-old beat Tanerko Emery (won his next two before finishing third in the Welsh Champion Hurdle off 135) that day and, as he was conceding 5lbs to the runner-up, he still looks reasonably treated on a mark of 130, despite disappointing when last seen in December.
Well beaten in a Listed contest at Sandown on Tingle Creek day, the ground was unsuitably soft on that occasion. Prior to Cheltenham the useful bumper performer had beaten Eduard by a head at Newcastle and that improving sort is bound for Aintree after winning effortlessly last week.
Given 67 days off to recover from his Sandown flop, he has to be worth another chance as he runs off the same mark and is trading at the same price for what looks a much less competitive affair. He was available at 11/4 with Paddy Power last night.
Over in Ireland, should Thurles pass an 8am inspection, Sword Of Honour (2:35) is of interest in the Thurles.ie Maiden Hurdle, despite the ground being softer than ideal.
A smart bumper winner in August 2011, the son of Montjeu has been on my radar since and he ran reasonably well in a couple of Flat events last June. A free going sort, he was way too keen on his return at Dundalk just 12 days ago, when he finished sixth behind Pique Sous, but that should have taken the fizz out of him and Barry Geraghty is an eye-catching booking. His class can see him home here, despite the fact that we won’t see the best of him until he meets spring ground.
2:35 Thurles Sword Of Honour
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)