Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Tuesday; Minella Fifty in the Wetherby 3.50. Compare odds and bet.
There is some really interesting action on offer on Tuesday, mainly over in Ireland at Navan where the two graded novice chases are intriguing and the thoroughly likeable Thousand Stars ought to be tough to beat in the Boyne Hurdle, in which stable-mate On His Own takes his first steps towards the Grand National at Aintree.
At Taunton, recent Fakenham winner Edmund Kean will be a warm order in the opener and David Pipe’s ex winning pointer looks a smart prospect; quite whether the drop back in trip will suit is open to question, so he is best watched at the likely odds.
Later on the card Oscar Nominee makes a belated return to action for Nicky Henderson (not seen since last year’s Festival) and, as he seemed to appreciate better ground and further when last seen, he too is best watched. Presumably this will put him spot on for one of the handicaps at either Cheltenham or Aintree.
Up at Wetherby smart ex Flat horse Whispering Gallery ought to be difficult to beat in the 2m4f novices’ hurdle for John Ferguson and Denis O’Regan. Impressive on debut at Leicester last month, the step up in trip should suit and the soft ground shouldn’t be an issue.
The only problem is that he will be very short odds in what looks a fairly competitive heat and, at the likely prices, it maybe worth taking a chance on Minella Fifty (3:50) each-way for Jonjo O’Neill and Maurice Linehan, who claims 5lbs.
A heavy ground point-to-point winner in Ireland, the son of King’s Theatre cost his current connections £150,000 last April and he made his rules debut at Doncaster just 12 days ago, when he finished 43 lengths behind African Gold and Close Touch in a decent event.
The five-year-old ran much better than the bare result would suggest, however. Held up early on, he made stealthy headway leaving the back straight and was still in contention turning for home. He soon faded, as if in need of the run and, the fact he comes out again so quickly, suggests he can be expected to strip much fitter.
It was certainly an eye-catching first run and, though today might not necessarily be the day, he looks sure to leave that run a long way behind at some time soon. With the three at the head of the market all shouldering penalties, he looks worth a small each-way interest.
3:50 Wetherby: Minella Fifty (each-way) 16/1 Betfred
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)