Paul Ferguson has two selections from Doncaster for us on Wednesday; Snake Eyes in the 3.25 and Knight Pass at 3.55. Compare odds and bet.
Doncaster stages a cracking card today, with Triumph Hurdle hope Swnymor the first really interesting runner. Hopefully he will bounce back from his fall in the Finale Hurdle last time and he ought to book his ticket to Cheltenham in style here, but will be priced up accordingly (opened up 4/9 last night).
The 2m novices’ hurdle is arguably the race of the day and, having won it last year with Oscar Nominee, Nicky Henderson saddles two in the contest today.
Course winner Minella Forfitness was impressive when scoring here over further earlier this month and remains in the Supreme at Cheltenham, but at the start of the season I’m pretty sure Snake Eyes (3:25) would have been higher up the pecking order at Seven Barrows, so he is worth another chance after 86 days off.
Third in a valuable and well contested bumper on his sole start last term, the son of Oscar was sent off at 1-5 for his hurdles debut at Kempton in November and all seemed to be going swimmingly as he cruised upsides in between the final two flights. He was out-battled in the end by Minella Definitely (won again at Wincanton on Saturday) and, given the lengthy absence since, it is presumed he wasn’t quite right on the day.
No longer entered at Cheltenham, connections will be hoping to shed his maiden tag here then think about going on to Aintree or Punchestown. Former Champion Bumper winner Cheltenian and the useful but rather disappointing New Year’s Eve add further spice to what looks a cracking contest on paper.
The SIS Live Handicap Hurdle looks another warm heat and another on a retrieval mission is David Pipe’s Knight Pass (3:55) who is worth a chance off top-weight and a mark of 130, having opened up at 4/1 with Paddy Power and Hills this morning.
Pulled-up on his debut for the stable in the valuable fixed brush handicap at Haydock on Betfair day, he remains reasonably treated and is at his best on a flat track.
Again, the break indicates all was not right last time and, remembering it is only two years ago since he was well fancied for the Champion Bumper and a little over a year since he won a Kempton handicap in taking fashion, he is still capable of making up for lost time.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)