Paul Ferguson has one selection for us to pile into on Saturday; Fentara in the Newbury 2.20. Compare odds and bet.
A really quiet Saturday, with the Lincoln card at Doncaster in doubt and the ground at Newbury looked extremely testing yesterday, so it usually pays to tread carefully and take it easy when conditions are so bad.
With that in mind, it’s just the one selection from me today and that is Fentara (2:20) in the mares’ novice chase finale, with Tim Walford’s eight-year-old boasting some useful form on heavy ground.
Under such conditions her form figures read 1221 and she has also won twice on soft ground. On her penultimate start at Kelso, she beat Micro Mission by 38 lengths over 3m and that rival, who re-opposes here, has since won by 9 lengths herself.
Last time out Daryl Jacob’s mount took on Goulanes, Super Duty and Fourjacks in the Grade 2 Towton Novices’ Chase at Wetherby and she was still in contention at the last, after which she tired in to third.
The winner finished sixth in the RSA, the runner-up was narrowly denied off 142 in the Kim Muir and the fourth home won by 49 lengths next time, before being pulled-up at Cheltenham.
With the ground and the trip not an issue, she looks sure to go well off a mark of 126 and it was not surprising to see her being backed last night. After opening up 11/2 with Bet365 and 9/2 with Hills, the daughter of Kayf Tara was trading at a general 4/1 at the time of writing.
Of the opposition I’ve long had this race in mind for smart hurdler Violin Davis who should not be dismissed under top-weight, but she would ideally have preferred better ground than this. With conditions in her favour, Fentara gets the vote.
2:20 Newbury Fentara (4/1 general)
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)