Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Saturday; Burn and Turn in the Limerick 4.20 and Windhoek in the Newmarket 5.00. Compare odds and bet.
It’s 2000 Guineas day at Newmarket and I’m finding it difficult to split Dawn Approach and Toronado, with the former looking better on a flatter, galloping track last year and the latter having impressed when bolting up in the Craven.
It’s not hard to envisage him quickening away as they enter the dip, but I’m loathed to take on Dawn Approach personally, so the opening Classic of the season will be a watching brief for me.
Later on the card Mark Johnston’s Windhoek (5:00) can maintain his 100% record in the Listed contest over 1m2f.
A winner over 6f at Nottingham on his sole start at two, the Cape Cross colt won a valuable sales race over course-and-distance on his reappearance, beating the smart Greatwood and Ghurair in a close finish.
Entered in the Dante, the King Edward VII Stakes and the Coral Eclipse, Joe Fanning’s mount can take this en route to bigger targets later in the season, and the selection was already as short as 5/4 by Friday evening.
Over in Ireland, there is a decent beginners’ chase at Limerick in which Run With The Wind is an interesting debutant. A points winner, he has decent form to his name over hurdles under today’s conditions, but faces a decent mare in Burn And Turn (4:20) who has already shown a decent level of form over the larger obstacles.
Runner-up to the useful Go All The Way back in July, she won over hurdles at Gowran in October and also shaped well behind Zuzka in a Grade 3 at Leopardstown over Christmas. She reverted to fences at Fairyhouse last month, where she travelled really well in to the straight behind the smart Nadiya De La Vega in another Grade 3 and, with the drop in trip likely to suit, she sets a fair standard on her favoured good ground.
4:20 Limerick Burn And Turn
5:00 Newmarket Windhoek
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)