Paul Ferguson has two selections from Ayr for us on Wednesday; Upswing Caledonia at 2.10 and Mutual Regard at 3.10. Compare odds and bet.
The 1m6f handicap at Ayr on Wednesday looks a decent contest, with Twelve Strings, Villa Royale and the one-time classy Activate arriving here in fine form, but Sir Mark Prescott’s Mutual Regard (3:10) ended last season on a roll and can continue the thread on his turf debut.
The four-year-old won four times in a little over a month when last seen and the form of his most recent victory reads really well, with runner-up Thecornishcockney having scored four times since. His latest success came off a 26lb higher mark than when runner-up to the selection, who is just 12lbs higher today.
Luke Morris’ mount opened up 7/4 with Paddy Power last night and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him aimed at something at Royal Ascot if successful here.
Earlier on the card Jim Goldie saddles three in the maiden over the same distance against likely favourite Khotan and his smart bumper performer Caledonia (2:10) looks worthy of support on his second Flat start.
A winner at Kelso in October, the pick of his form was a third to Oscar Rock at Newbury and the six-year-old filled the same spot behind Killyglass in the Grade 2 at Aintree on Grand National day.
A little disappointing on the face of it at Thirsk last month, he met trouble in running before staying on after seemingly being outpaced, the step up in trip is very much in his favour and, while he may well come in to his own in handicap company at 2m later in the season, he is capable of landing a maiden over this sort of distance.
If the tissue price is right, he should be backable each-way, which would make some appeal given the dead eight go to post.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)