Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Wednesday; Glorious Protector in the Kempton 20:10 Compare odds and bet.
After yesterday’s desperate news that Sir Henry Cecil lost his battle with cancer at the age of 70, I could not let today’s column pass without paying a small personal tribute to one of the all time greats of our sport.
Trying to do justice to such a figure isn’t easy, but the one word I would use to describe Cecil is “class” from how he dealt with the public, the press and his ability to get the very best out of the champions that he trained.
10 Trainers’ Championships, 25 British Classics and 75 Royal Ascot victories says it all and, while I’m too young to remember the likes of Slip Anchor and Oh So Sharp, I was starting to take a keen interest in racing when King’s Theatre (since a favourite National Hunt sire of mine) and Commander In Chief burst on to the scene.
By the time Bosra Sham, Reams Of Verse and Sleepytime came around I was a fully paid up member of the Cecil fan club and have since been a huge admirer of his work. If ever a racehorse epitomized his trainer, then the brilliant Frankel did just that, as he too oozed “class”. 14 wins from 14 races, thankfully Sir Henry, a true gentleman, was around for long enough to train possibly the best Flat horse we have, or will, ever see and hopefully he will now rest in peace. Thoughts go out to his family, friends and all those close to him in Newmarket and at Warren Place at this difficult time.
Moving on to today’s action and Glorious Protector (8:10) is taken to make a winning handicap debut despite shouldering top-weight at Kempton this evening.
Ed Walker’s Azamour colt travelled well in a decent Newbury maiden won by Cape Peron on reappearance, before scoring at Windsor when stepped up to 1m2f for the first time.
Up another furlong this evening, Jamie Spencer’s mount looks reasonably treated on an opening mark of 83 and looked worthy of support at 9/4 with Ladbrokes this morning
8:10 Kempton: Glorious Protector; 9/4 Ladbrokes
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)