Paul Ferguson has two racing tips for us on Friday; Big Break (3:45) and Nichols Canyon (5:00) both at Royal Ascot. Compare odds and bet.
After a great day on Thursday, the penultimate day of Royal Ascot looks another tricky card, though Big Break (3:45) looks worthy of each-way support against the Guineas winning pair of Sky Lantern and Just The Judge in the feature Coronation Stakes.
Dermot Weld’s Dansili filly was a smart juvenile and made a pleasing return when fourth (beaten 2 lengths) behind the aforementioned Just The Judge in the Irish 1,000 Guineas.
Drawn 16 of 16 that day, she was forced to race wide throughout and looked as though she would come on for that belated seasonal reappearance. If that’s the case, she hasn’t got much ground to make up on the top two in the market here and, as she’s been handed stall 1 (the other two in the widest draws), she has been handed a slight advantage provided she breaks well and obtains a handy position.
Available at 13/2 with Betfred overnight, Pat Smullen’s mount looks capable of a bold show.
Later on the card the Queen’s Vase is being run in memory of Sir Henry Cecil this year and, while the penalised Leading Light is respected given the three-year-olds Aidan O’Brien had to chose from for this, Nichols Canyon (5:00) looks as though he could benefit greatly from the step up in trip and is another worth backing each-way.
A Goodwood maiden winner last October (beat yesterday’s winner Elidor by 2 lengths) he looked a strong stayer that day and has again looked in need of a thorough stamina test on both starts to date this term.
Third at Sandown on return, the Authorized colt stepped up on that to go down by just a nose in a Newbury handicap last time, when he finished like the proverbial train, having wandered around when asked to pick up by William Buick.
Today’s bigger field should ensure he has plenty of cover until reaching the straight, which negates some of the worry about his antics last time, and the selection is trading at 10/1 this morning.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)