Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Saturday; Court Pastoral in the Thirsk 4.50. Compare odds and bet.
Glorious Goodwood concludes this afternoon and the feature Group 1 Nassau Stakes is an absolute cracker.
If 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Stakes winner Sky Lantern gets the trip, Richard Hannon’s grey will take some stopping, as she goes in search of compensation following her second in the Falmouth Stakes recently, form that has since been franked.
The ‘if’ is pretty big, however, as she looks a filly full of speed, while Integral appeals as the type to relish the step up. A winner for this column in Listed company last time, Sir Michael Stoute’s course winner needs to take a massive step forward again here and, while I’ve been very taken by the manner of her two victories to date, she looks far too short judged on what she has actually achieved, especially given that the form of her Sandown success has been let down since.
Hot Snap returns from a lengthy lay-off, so the value probably lies with Irish 1,000 Guineas winner Just The Judge, who should get home over this longer trip, and Just Pretending, who has solid form in the book over further and would relish a strongly run contest. Given the strength of the race, I’m prepared to just watch and enjoy, what promises to be one of the races of the week.
Elsewhere, Lady Cecil’s unbeaten Court Pastoral (4:50) is the day’s sole selection, in the fillies’ handicap at Thirsk, with the step up to 1m4f promising to bring about plenty of improvement.
The Mount Nelson filly won a Windsor maiden on debut and stepped up on that to land an Epsom handicap last month. After quickening smartly turning for home, she stayed on strongly in the closing stages over 1m2f and won going away, leaving the impression she would improve for this longer trip.
Up 7lbs for that success, she gets a handy 11lb age allowance here and is taken to complete the hat-trick under Graham Gibbons.
4:50 Thirsk: Court Pastoral; 9/4 Stan James
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)