Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Wednesday; Leitrim Pass in the Pontefract 3.00. Compare odds and bet.
Though only three go to post, the Big Fellas Nightclub Handicap is the most interesting race on the card at Pontefract on Wednesday and, while the once-raced Buchanan is greatly respected, slight preference is for Leitrim Pass (3:00) who remains on a mark from which he can win off.
Runner-up to the potentially smart Mighty Yar at Sandown last month, the Raven’s Pass colt could have his own way of things out in front today, with Buchanan coming from behind when scoring at Lingfield last month.
Henry Candy was talking of a possible crack at the Melrose at York after that debut success, so it is slightly surprising to see him drop in trip here, as he stayed on powerfully at Lingfield.
A mark of 82 certainly shouldn’t be beyond him, but it might just be that the race will be run to suit Leitrim Pass today, who should be able to dictate matters and might just have the better turn of foot over this distance. William Haggas’ chestnut was a best price 11/8 with Paddy Power overnight, who had Buchanan as their 4/5 favourite.
3:00 Pontefract: Leitrim Pass; evens Paddy Power
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14