Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Friday; Makhfar in the 2.00 and Northern Monkey in the 3.00 both at Nottingham. Compare odds and bet.
Newbury’s card should be pretty informative on Friday, particularly the maidens that should be watched with interest, but the day’s two selections come from Nottingham, starting with Makhfar (2:00) in the opener.
John Gosden’s Bushranger colt made a pleasing debut when runner-up at Ascot last month and the Mill Reef and Middle Park entry can go one better under William Buick.
The feature fillies’ handicap looks a competitive little affair, in which Fersah (a filly who has featured here a couple of times this season) could bounce back under top-weight, but preference is for Northern Meeting (3:00) at the foot of the weights.
An easy winner on her penultimate start at Catterick, the daughter of Dylan Thomas ran much better than the bare form would suggest behind Retirement Plan at Goodwood a fortnight ago.
She held every chance at the furlong pole, before seemingly failing to see out the 1m3f trip and both the slightly shorter trip and this slightly easier company ought to play to her strengths. At 5/1 with Hills this morning and the dead eight going to post, she looks a sound each-way play.
2:00 Nottingham Makhfar 4/5 Bet365
3:00 Nottingham Northern Meeting 5/1 William Hill
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14