Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Wednesday; Fox Appeal in the Fontwell 16:00. Compare odds and bet.
Fontwell’s 32Red.com Novices’ Hurdle looks a decent event, but the race of the day is without doubt the same sponsors’ beginners’ chase 35 minutes later, in which a case can be made for the majority of the seven runners.
Ohio Gold brings decent chase form to the table, but faces several interesting recruits, including Heronry, Black Thunder, Baby Shine and Fox Appeal (4:00), and, given the form of his stable and his course form over hurdles, preference is for the latter.
A winner here almost two years ago, the son of Brian Boru twice finished in front of Black Thunder (who does look a chaser to be fair) last season, including when beating Coral Cup winner Medinas at Kempton.
He was weighted out of things after that, but should return to winning ways over fences this term and, despite the strength of this contest, he is worth siding with on debut.
At the likely prices, the aforementioned Baby Shine warrants plenty of respect, as Lucy Wadham’s mare is another who has the scope to do well over fences and should travel strongly in behind. She is certainly likely to outrun her double-figure tissue odds and a bold show could be a pointer to her exciting stable-mate, Le Reve, later in the week.
16:00 Fontwell: Fox Appeal; 5/2 @ Betvictor
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14