Paul Ferguson has two Boxing Day picks for us on Thursday; Provo in the Wincanton 1.40 and My Tent Or Yours 2.35 at Kempton. Compare odds and bet.
Though the ground will be softer than ideal My Tent Or Yours (2:35) is taken to lower the colours of The New One in this afternoon’s Christmas Hurdle at Kempton, on a track that should prove right up his street.
A speedy individual with a high cruising speed, Nicky Henderson’s six-year-old seemed to settle a little better than he did last year, when winning the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle on his reappearance and he can leap to the head of the Champion Hurdle market with victory under ‘AP’ this afternoon.
Down at Wincanton, Paul Nicholls and Nick Scholfield have teamed up to win the past two renewals of the 2m5f novices’ chase and, though he is in pretty deep on his fencing bow, Provo (1:40) is taken to defy the 407-day lay-off and make it three in a row for the trainer and jockey combination.
A winner here on his hurdles debut in October last year, he went on to run well under his penalty in a fairly warm Exeter novice hurdle, which has worked out well since, and the former winning pointer has the physique to improve for fences.
Boxing Day Selections:
1:40 Wincanton Provo 5/2 Betfred
2:35 Kempton My Tent Or Yours 6/5 Ladbrokes
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14