Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Monday; Sizing Coal in the Thurles 2.15 and Lily Waugh in the Southwell 3.30. Compare odds and bet.
Should Southwell pass a 7am inspection, smart bumper performer Lily Waugh (3:30) looks worth another chance on her second start over hurdles, in the concluding mares’ maiden.
Anthony Honeyball’s seven-year-old was runner-up in Listed company at Cheltenham on her final start in bumpers and probably hit the front plenty soon enough on her first start over timber, at Fontwell last month.
The drop back in trip ought to suit today and, while she may ideally prefer better ground, the daughter of King’s Theatre should be too good for today’s opposition.
Over at Thurles, Urano is sure to be a warm order for Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh in the 2m6f maiden hurdle and, though some of his form in defeat reads well, it is always slightly concerning when a horse racks up a string of seconds (slipped up last time, having finished runner-up on his first five starts over hurdles).
If the forecast price is correct, he is taken on with an each-way bet on Sizing Coal (2:15) who shaped with promise when fourth on his rules debut at Down Royal in November.
That race has worked out reasonably well and the former winning pointer ought to appreciate today’s softer ground. His form between the flags reads well, having chased home the smart Azorian before winning at Borris House in March and he looks sure to go well under Andrew Lynch.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14