Paul Ferguson has two selections from Newbury for us on Wednesday; Full Shift in the 1.50 and Bold Addition at 4.10. Compare odds and bet.
Nicky Henderson’s string appear ready to hit full stride, with the champion trainer saddling the first and second in the Tolworth on Saturday as well as Lyvius scoring on the same card, and the local handler can strike at Newbury on Wednesday, with the unbeaten Full Shift (1:50).
The five-year-old travelled smoothly before winning at Newcastle on ‘Fighting Fifth’ day and, though he made fairly hard work of it in the end, the son of Ballingarry looked a big green baby and should come on appreciably for that initial experience.
A former winning pointer, he ought to relish the step up in trip today and the ground is also sure to make this a sterner test of stamina. He looks to have course-and-distance winner Brother Brian, who outstayed the selection’s stable-mate Tistory last time, and Zulu Oscar, who looked useful in bumpers, to beat.
Up at Newcastle, Stellar Notion looks capable of maintaining his 100% record under rules, after impressing when winning a Bangor bumper, but Tom George’s charge is likely to be pretty skinny, so the second selection of the day comes in the shape of Bold Addition (4:10) in the concluding hunters’ chase at Newbury.
Formerly a smart performer for Paul Nicholls, he won his first two in this sphere impressively last term, before falling when going well at Aintree. Ideally he would prefer better ground, but the nine-year-old holds a class advantage over his rivals here and should have too much pace over this ideal distance.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14