Paul Ferguson has two selections from Newbury for us on Friday; Dundee at 3.10 and Volnay De Thaix at 4.20. Compare odds and bet.
Despite being burdened with top-weight Volnay De Thaix (4:20) is fancied to return to winning ways in the 2m Carter Jonas Handicap Hurdle at Newbury on Friday.
Nicky Henderson’s novice looks on a fair enough mark (138) for this handicap debut and, while this looks a fairly decent little contest, he is the one that has brightest prospects of going on to bigger and better things, plus he looks best equipped to handle today’s decent ground. He was trading at 7-4 overnight.
Earlier on the card Dundee (3:10) is worthy of a small each-way interest in the extended 3m handicap hurdle, for the in-form Alan King.
The Definite Article gelding is another who ought to appreciate the ground and he shaped reasonably well when stepped up in trip at Doncaster last month. Down 1lb for that effort, this looks a wide-open contest, but the six-year-old looks capable of landing one of these, so take the 14-1 on offer with Bet365.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14