Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Tuesday; Havana Cooler in the Goodwood 3.40 and Shield in the Galway 5.05. Compare odds and bet.
Back up in trip and returning to quicker ground, I’m keeping the faith with Havana Cooler (3:40) who can get off the mark for the season in the Bet365 Summer Stakes on the opening day of Glorious Goodwood.
Luca Cumani’s four-year-old rewarded our each-way support at Royal Ascot before failing to justify favouritism in Haydock’s Old Newton Cup last time. The ground was softer than ideal at the Merseyside track and that form was given a boost when Pallasator won for us on Sunday.
The Hurricane Run colt has ground to make up with Dashing Star on that running, but has more favourable conditions this afternoon and he ran well at the meeting last year. At 9-2 he looks assured to be thereabouts and I remain convinced he has a big handicap in him this summer.
Over at Galway Shield (5:05) can land the opening Topaz Novice Hurdle for Aidan O’Brien and JP McManus.
The Dylan Thomas gelding appeared to relish the decent ground at Killarney just 12 days ago and, if in that sort of form, ought to be difficult to beat under Robbie Power.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14