Paul Fergusontwo selections for us on Saturday Fingerontheswitch in the Cartmel 2:50 and Walpole in the Newmarket 3:35. Compare odds and bet.
A Huntingdon bumper winner on his racecourse debut last October Walpole (3:35) is three from four on the level and can continue his progression in this afternoon’s Fly Stobart Air Handicap at Newmarket.
Hugo Palmer’s four-year-old travelled well on his way to scoring at Thirsk earlier in the month and appeared to win with more in hand than the official margin might suggest. Up a further 5lbs, the Rock Of Gibraltar gelding should improve for stepping up in trip and a strongly run race may also be to his liking.
Up at Cartmel Fingerontheswitch (2:50) is taken to build on his recent chase debut at Newton Abbot, where an untimely mistake at the cross fence meant he was always struggling to make inroads late on.
A useful hurdler on good ground, Neil Mulholland’s six-year-old was a winner at the third time of asking between the flags in Ireland, having chased home Shantou Village (now his stable-mate, of course) at Loughanmore when the pair were four.
Given his hold up style, he might well come into his own in handicaps later on in the season, but today’s two opponents like to go from the front and might set this up for Wayne Hutchinson’s mount, provided he jumps more fluently.
The 10th edition will be produced in full colour for the first time and includes:
- Foreword by top National Hunt trainer, Charlie Longsdon
- In-depth analysis of Paul’s 40 Leading Prospects for the season
- Additional ‘Horses to Follow’ from Ireland
- Stable Round-Up (Horses to Follow from more than 60 stables from around the country)
- Horses to Follow from several leading jockeys - Jamie Codd (Champion Irish Point-to-Point rider), Jane Mangan, Nick Scholfield & Harry Skelton.
- Q&A with industry experts - Graham Cunningham (RUK / C4), Tony Calvin (Betting Journalist), Frank Keogh (BBC)
***PUBLISHED END OF AUGUST***Order your copy now – Just £9.95