Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Friday; Virgilio in the Newton Abbot 15:35. Compare odds and bet.
The feature contest from Newton Abbot this afternoon is the Weatherbys Racing Diaries Intermediate Chase, although three of the four runners are novices.
Philip Hobbs’ debutant Brother Tedd was just about the pick of these over hurdles, but preference is for the Dan Skelton-trained Virgilio (3:35) who got off the mark over fences in taking fashion at Warwick in May.
The seven-year-old, who had one start over fences in France before joining Skelton, developed into a very smart handicap hurdler last term and appeared to warm to his task as the race developed at Warwick. He can take this before stepping up in to graded novice company.
I can’t let today’s column pass without a mention for the Weatherbys & Paul Ferguson Jumpers To Follow Handicap Hurdle (3:00), which looks a really competitive affair.
Last year’s winner Milan Bound certainly has to enter equations racing off just 1lb higher, while Alcala remains on a mark from which he can land a handicap; I’m not quite sure he wants to go this far, however.
A couple more who warrant plenty of consideration are Luccombe Down, who was on a roll before being brought down at Sedgefield, and Valhalla who looked extremely promising when scoring at Exeter in April. The latter has held entries over fences this week, but looks worth his place in a handicap of this nature and it could be that I’m handing the trophy to Colin Tizzard and Noel Fehily at around 3:10pm.
3:35 Newton Abbot: Virgilio; 15/8 Betfred
The 10th edition will be produced in full colour for the first time and includes:
- Foreword by top National Hunt trainer, Charlie Longsdon
- In-depth analysis of Paul’s 40 Leading Prospects for the season
- Additional ‘Horses to Follow’ from Ireland
- Stable Round-Up (Horses to Follow from more than 60 stables from around the country)
- Horses to Follow from several leading jockeys - Jamie Codd (Champion Irish Point-to-Point rider), Jane Mangan, Nick Scholfield & Harry Skelton.
- Q&A with industry experts - Graham Cunningham (RUK / C4), Tony Calvin (Betting Journalist), Frank Keogh (BBC)
***PUBLISHED END OF AUGUST***Order your copy now – Just £9.95