Paul Ferguson has two selections for us on Tuesday; Clondaw Knight in the Newcastle 2.20 and Southfield Theatre in the Exeter 4.30. Compare odds and bet.
Paul Nicholls saddled two novice hurdlers yesterday, both of whom were victorious and he can produce more of the same today with his sole runner at Exeter Southfield Theatre (4:30) who can score at the second time of asking over hurdles.
A bumper winner on his debut for the yard at Cheltenham in October (had shown promise for Caroline Keevil last season, notably when fourth to The New One), the five-year-old made his hurdles debut in the Grade 2 Winter Novices’ Hurdle at Sandown in December, for which he was sent off 6/4 favourite.
That shows the regard in which he is held and, though he finished only third behind Taquin Du Seuil, it was a sound starting point and both the winner and Up And Go have given that race a solid look since.
The step up in trip ought to help on breeding, but more importantly the better ground is likely to bring about significant improvement and he can improve past Tidal Dance and Leader Of The Gang, both of whom are rated 121 and have handicap form to their names.
Up at Newcastle it can pay to give another chance to Clondaw Knight (2:20) in the opening SIS Live “National Hunt” Novices’ Hurdle.
The top-rated four-year-old pointer in Ireland last season, he cost current connections £140,000 and was well supported to make a successful rules debut in a Listed bumper at Cheltenham in November.
The son of Heron Island proved a bitter disappointment, but the sheer fact that Lucinda Russell sent him south for that contest on debut indicates he is held in high esteem and he looks worth another chance on his hurdles debut on much better ground (won his point-to-point at Inch by 8 lengths on good ground in April).
This doesn’t look a bad contest on paper and a market check should be given to Matthew Riley, who was a smart bumper horse two seasons back but hasn’t been seen since finishing fourth to Steps To Freedom at Aintree. He makes his debut for Philip Kirby today after 696 days on the sidelines.
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)