Paul Ferguson has two selections from Fontwell for us on Saturday; Hannibal The Great in the 1.55 and Third Act at 5.50. Compare odds and bet.
Charlie Longsdon has his horses in rude health at present, saddling a treble at Market Rasen last Saturday and a double at Bangor in the week, and his Hannibal The Great (1:55) is fancied to make a winning debut over hurdles at Fontwell this afternoon.
A soft ground bumper winner at Plumpton last October, the five-year-old went on to finish third in a Listed event at Cheltenham the following month, before giving the exciting Gone Too Far a race at Kempton when returning to action in May.
Bred to appreciate the step up in trip now he embarks on his jumping career, the son of Milan can continue the good run of Longsdon and jockey, Noel Fehily.
The concluding bumper looks a decent contest, certainly the stronger of the two divisions, with Saffron Wells showing useful form in this sphere in Ireland last season, but Third Act (5:50) showed plenty of promise himself on debut last term and is given the nod.
Colin Tizzard has also been amongst the winners this week and the four-year-old looked as though he would come on a ton for that initial experience, when third behind the potentially useful Howlongisafoot at Newton Abbot in April.
Well-backed beforehand, the son of King’s Theatre is well regarded and Jean Bishop’s silks were carried to success here in a bumper back in January 2010, by none other than stable star, Cue Card.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14