Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Monday; Commissioned in the Musselburgh 17.20. Compare odds and bet.
The most interesting race on Monday is the concluding contest at Salisbury, the Bathwick Tyres “Season Finale” Handicap, in which there are several interesting three-year-olds taking on their elders over an extended 1m6f.
Chocala is expected to head over hurdles very shortly (was entered in the opener at Chepstow on Saturday) and should go well for Alan King, while Buchanan looked a huge big baby earlier in the season. His form doesn’t stack up particularly well, but he could improve significantly for the step up in trip and will have appreciated the patient approach.
There is also a decent staying handicap up at Musselburgh, where Mark Johnston’s Commissioned (5:20) is taken to defy top-weight, following a facile success at Catterick back in mid-August.
The Authorized gelding fairly bolted up from a subsequent winner and, while the handicapper appears to have taken no chances, he looked a smart prospect when last seen and one that should relish this longer trip.
The selection was trading at 2/1 with Paddy Power, Bet Victor and Hills overnight.
5:20 Musselburgh: Commissioned; 2/1 Paddy Power
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14