Paul Ferguson has one selection for us on Tuesday; Montaser @ 14/1 in the Goodwood 15:40. Compare odds and bet.
Glorious Goodwood gets underway and, if the track hasn’t been hit by too much rain overnight, a chance is taken on Montaser (3:40) after his rather disappointing fifth at York earlier in the month.
The four-year-old had earlier won impressively over the same course-and-distance, but failed to pick up having travelled with ease throughout. In fact, the Rail Link gelding was last off the bridle and clearly failed to show his true running in the closing stages.
Sadly nothing has come to light since (worth monitoring the press this morning), but the yard seems in much better form now, with David Simcock saddling six winners from 13 runners between 17th and 27th of this month.
Ladbrokes are offering 14/1 about the selection and, assuming he gets his ground (was pulled out of the Northumberland Plate on soft ground), he is worth supporting each-way, in the hope his last effort was just a blip.
Over at Galway, the opening Topaz Novice Hurdle is the best race on the card, but again the ground could be crucial. Shamar bounded off the quick ground at Killarney, where he looked a smart novice in beating Que Pasa, but he wouldn’t appreciate too much rain and Ruby Walsh has reportedly warned the track might not be ideal, either.
At the time of writing, it is not known if yesterday’s winner Diplomat lines up, which makes the race difficult to assess with too much confidence, especially as that would leave us with seven runners and rule out an each-way option. If eight do go to post and the price is right, Elegant Statesman is one to consider in what looks a competitive heat, as he looked a smart long-term prospect when winning on his hurdles debut at Limerick in May.
Henry De Bromhead’s son of Vinnie Roe, who carries the famous JP McManus silks, was strong in the finish that day, however, so I’d have preferred to see him take up his engagement later in the week over 2m4f. Be sure to pay attention to the contest though, as it is a strong event for the time of year.
3:40 Glorious Goodwood: Montaser; 14/1 Each way at Ladbrokes
Order Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2012-13
Available hot of the press on Oct 1 2012 – Only £9.95!
Send your name and address with a cheque payable to The Racing Insider for £9.95
The Racing Insider,
PO Box 98,
Liverpool L9 1WY
Last Year’s Book Results – Leading Prospects:
- SPRINTER SACRE – Unbeaten – winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- SIMONSIG – Winner at Aintree & Cheltenham
- CINDERS AND ASHES – 10/1 winner of Supreme Novices Hurdle
- BOBS WORTH – 9/2 winner of the RSA Chase
- MENORAH & SILVINIACO CONTI – Both Aintree Winners
- SIR DES CHAMPS – Unbeaten inc 3/1 Jewson Cheltenham Winner
- FINGAL BAY – Won 4 times inc Challow Hurdle
- RAYA STAR – 10/3 winner at Wetherby, 12/1 Ladbroke Hurdle winner, 15/2 Scottish Champion Hurdle winner
- AMBION WOOD – 14/1 EBF Final Sandown winner
- CHAMPION COURT – 6/1 G2 Dipper Novices Chase winner
- PALACE JESTER – 14/1 winner at FFos Las
- SWINCOMBE FLAME – Hat-trick winner inc Lanzarote Hurdle at 9/2
- TEAFOR THREE – 5/1 NH Cheltenham Chase winner (Manifesto Novices’ Chase)