Paul Ferguson has two selections on Saturday; Present View and Irving in the Kempton 1.30 & 3.15. Compare odds and bet.
Regular readers will know that I have been a fan of Irving (3:15) since his success at Taunton on debut and, though he proved to be a costly ante-post bet in the Betfair Hurdle, Paul Nicholls’ unbeaten hurdler is taken to make it four from four in the Dovecote Novices’ Hurdle at Kempton on Saturday.
The six-year-old, who has won his last two at Ascot and finds himself prominent in the betting for the Supreme at Cheltenham, has to concede weight to smart ex-Flat performer First Mohican (a winner for this column on debut recently), but Alan King’s runner needs to take a big step forward here. The selection was available at 6/5 with Boylesports overnight.
Earlier on the card Present View (1:30) is worth backing in the opening 2m4f handicap chase, despite his lack of experience.
Jamie Snowden’s six-year-old split a couple of high-class novices on debut here in November (winner Annacotty has since won the Grade 1 Feltham here and third, Off The Ground, has won both starts since and they are now rated 146 and 147, respectively), form that make his look well treated.
He went on to score at Market Rasen, before failing to truly see out the 3m½f trip at Bangor last time and, though the ground is likely to be softer than ideal, everything else looks in place today. He will probably need to win this if he is to get in to the novice handicap at Cheltenham and is sure to be thereabouts. He was a 9/2 chance last night.
Paul Ferguson’s Jumpers To Follow 2013-14
Pre order now, published early September in good time for the new season:
Just £9:95 inc p&p
* order online www.cc-publishing.co.uk
* or, send a cheque payable to ‘The Racing Insider’ to PO Box 98, Liverpool L9 1WY (with address details)
Fellow Betrescue columnist and Bet Victor’s Charlie McCann says: “it really is a privilege to write the foreword for such an informative and well-researched publication, which continues to go from strength to strength.”
New for 2013-14:
Grade 1 winning jockeys Nick Scholfield and Jane Mangan provide readers with their horses to follow
Last years results included:
* Leading Prospects, Arvika Ligeonniere (x3), Boston Bob, Captain Conan (x3), Champagne Fever (x2 inc Supreme Novices’ Hurdle), Glens Melody, Melodic Rendezvous, Simonsig (Arkle) & Un Atout won 13 Grade 1 novice contests between them
* My Tent Or Yours won 4 times including the Betfair Hurdle and the Top Novices’ at Aintree
* Stable Round-Up included Neptune winner The New One, Scottish Champion Hurdle winner Court Minstrel and David Pipe’s Dynaste of whom it read “could follow the Grands Crus path of last year, starting in the Steel Plate And Sections before he is readied for the Feltham” – he won both races and also scored at Aintree in April
* Across The Sea – Mount Benbulben 14/1 winner of the Grade 1 novice chase at the Punchestown Festival
* Under The Hammer – horses featured in this section included Champion Bumper winner Briar Hill (25/1) and The Liquidator, who won the equivalent Grade 1 at Punchestown – this section has been greatly increased for 2013-14